CLEVELAND, April 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- On the heels of Earth Day, multi-format food and fuel retailer Giant Eagle, Inc. announces its newly constructed 83,000 square-foot state of the art supermarket conveniently located near I-77 and Route 82. The environmentally friendly supermarket offers customers a world class shopping experience with an increased focus on prepared and fresh foods, health, beauty and wellness, convenience and value.
Located at 4343 Royalton Road, Giant Eagle's first new supermarket in the Cleveland area since the opening of its West 117th and Interstate 90 location showcases a diverse selection of the region's freshest, high quality foods and prepared dishes including a sub shop and pizza station, grab-n-go meals and side dishes, a health, beauty and wellness department, a sit-down cafe, an in-store Huntington Bank branch, a nearby GetGo location, and Northeast Ohio's first supermarket with a solar roof.
"The new store, which is bringing approximately 250 new jobs to the area, is designed with a convenient and friendly shopping experience in mind, and represents the latest design and features we have to offer," said Giant Eagle Senior Director of Corporate Communications Rob Borella. "The store also incorporates many of the environmentally friendly features that have helped us earn the world's first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design® (LEED®) certified supermarket in nearby Brunswick, and since seven other supermarket and fuel and convenience store locations including our most recent LEED certification in Indiana, Pennsylvania."
One of the store's more prominent environmentally friendly features is the solar roof, featuring a tubular solar array and skylights that help offset the store's need for electric power from more traditional sources. For those interested in learning more about this unique feature, the store's vestibule offers an area that tracks energy savings and system output of the roof, in addition to describing the process of solar energy generation.
The new I-77 and Route 82 location will offer the following:
Outstanding High Quality Food
- All new Prepared Foods Department with a sub shop, fresh pizza and sushi made on-site that may be enjoyed in an expanded sit-down cafe complete with free WiFi.
- An on-site state liquor agency offering more than 800 spirits, and a tempting selection of more than 550 domestic and imported beers and 1,700 varieties of wine.
- A cheese shop with hundreds of artisan, local and imported cheeses hand-selected by our cheesemongers, more than 100 varieties of deli meats and a tasty assortment of imported olives and antipasti.
- A wide selection of the area's highest-quality fresh fruits and vegetables, including 20 varieties of peppers, 20 types of tomatoes and 17 varieties of mushrooms.
- Full-service bakery offering an extensive assortment of fresh-baked pies and cakes for any occasion, as well as cookies, specialty desserts, and organic and Old World artisan breads.
- Premium quality service meat and service seafood departments. The meat department features the finest cuts of Market District Certified Angus Beef®, Giant Eagle Nature's Basket natural antibiotic and hormone-free beef, fresh and frozen turkeys as well as other high quality natural and organic meat offerings. The service seafood department features the highest quality fresh and frozen sustainable seafood with items such as Wild Alaska salmon, Gulf of Maine Cod, Georges Banks Scallops and Live Lobsters.
Helping Customers Live a Healthful Lifestyle
- An expanded health, beauty and wellness department filled with natural and organic cosmetics, vitamins, supplements, and personal care products. The store also offers an in-store pharmacy with drive-thru access for customer convenience.
- An abundant array of fresh, great-tasting natural and organic products to support a variety of healthy lifestyles, including vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free.
Great Customer Value and Convenience
- An array of savings opportunities, including low everyday prices on the products customers purchase most frequently, a wide assortment of Giant Eagle own brand and Valu Time products, weekly specials, double coupons, digital tools and eOffers, $4 generic drug prescriptions, free antibiotic and diabetes medications, and unique Giant Eagle Advantage Card® promotions.
- A GetGo fuel and convenience store conveniently located in front of the supermarket, where customers can find great food and high quality fuel options, while also offering a site for fuelperks! and foodperks! rewards earning and redemption respectively. Plus, for those in graduation party planning mode, customers can earn fuelperks! twice as fast by making purchases in the Bakery, Prepared Foods, Deli, Greeting Cards and Floral departments.
- Full-service convenience-oriented departments, including new Dress for Success dry cleaning services and a colorful floral department.
Borella noted that the new location will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In anticipation of the new store's opening, the Brecksville Giant Eagle location at 7510 Chippewa Road will close at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, April 25th.
The grand opening celebration will include a ribbon cutting ceremony at 9 a.m. on Thursday, April 26th. Special events continue throughout the following weeks with radio remotes and family entertainment including musicians, face painters, stilt walkers, clowns and jugglers, food samples and health and beauty consultations.
Meet Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor who will sign autographs at the new store on Saturday, May 5 from noon to 2:00 p.m., and Browns cornerback Joe Hayden on Saturday, May 19 from noon to 2 p.m. Days of Our Lives star Bryan Dattilo will visit the new store on Saturday, May 12th from noon to 2 p.m., also meeting with customers and signing autographs.
About Giant Eagle
Giant Eagle Inc., is one of the nation's largest food retailers and distributors with approximately $9.3 billion in annual sales, which would make the company the 27th largest privately held company on Forbes magazine's largest private corporations list. Giant Eagle is also a recent recipient of Grocery Headquarters' Retailer of the Year Award and the EPA's ENERGY STAR Retail Partner of the Year Award. Founded in 1931, Giant Eagle, Inc. has grown to be the number one supermarket retailer in the region with 175 corporate and 54 independently owned and operated supermarkets in addition to 169 fuel and convenience stores throughout western Pennsylvania, Ohio, north central West Virginia and Maryland.